Thursday, October 16, 2008

What is an Engagement Session?

One question I get asked a whole lot, is what an engagement photo session actually is.

More or less, it is just a portrait session. Originally, it's purpose was to get a nice clean photo of you and your future hubby for the newspaper - but to date, I've only had three couples use it for that.

Personally I use it as an opportunity to work together prior to the wedding date. The couple gets to see themselves in my photos before their wedding date - thus, they go into their wedding knowing that I'm going to do a fantastic job.

In my world this is how it goes:
1. Pick a fun location (park, hotel, beach, where you got engaged, etc)
2. Pick a time of day. I usually aim for the last few hours before sunset. Light is way softer around that time, and the photos come out much more flattering.
3 Go out and take some photos! Have fun, relax, take one or two for mom and dad.

Advice for posing: Yes, the photographer can pose you, but it looks a lot more natural if you just do what feels comfortable. Gaze into each others eyes, kiss, chase each other around a tree, just have fun.

When do you get to see the photos? This varies depending on the photographer. I always try to have them done and ready for you within 5 days - but I've been known to have them ready before 9pm the day of the shoot -- completely depends on the time of year.

Hopefully this helps reveal some of the mystery.

Taylor

No comments: